Monday, January 25, 2010

From Leeds with Love



After being in this lovely country for only a week I've run into many strange things that cause George Orwell's 1984 and James Bond to come to mind. These are my favorite Bonds. You cannot have just one favorite - because it will automatically be Sean Connery. Although that does go against the definition of a favorite...

It is strange how vocal security here is about spying on your neighbors and those around you. In the US (airports, especially) you are told to keep on eye out, look out for suspicious objects. However, the British really put it in your face that you should report any suspicious people, activity, etc. It isn't that wild of a claim, I suppose, just surprising at how upfront it is. There are cameras everywhere you turn on campus and near all the residences. I like cameras, I do...because I have nothing to hide and I appreciate the feeling of safety they give me. However, whenever my eyes discover one camera they dart around to find the next, and the next. I look like a paranoid criminal checking out exit routes and vulnerable reception cords.

We were told at orientation that to watch TV here you have to buy a pretty pricey license. Apparently, these trucks with hi-tech antennas drive around regularly and can sense when you are receiving illegal signal. That just sounds so...Orwellian. I'm just imagining a white van with "War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, and Ignorance is Strength" painted on the side driving up to my flat and listening in. Is she committing thoughtcrime? Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment